Tag Archives: newel post

Ta da! Banisters and newels done.

13 Feb

It took about 15-20 hours over the course of two weeks to get the banisters and newels stripped, sanded, and oiled up. I didn’t stain them. After stripping with PeelAway7 and sanding (mostly by hand, but with the help of a small electric sander on some newel places), I wiped the wood down with de-natured alcohol, and then applied boiled linseed oil to the wood. I did a lot of research online and in a woodworking store about the best way to make the wood look and feel great. I’m really glad I went with the boiled linseed oil, as it seems more natural than stain and polyurethane, and it feels much better than poly.

I had some boiled linseed oil in stock from another project, had the sandpaper and rags and stuff, so I estimate that the total project cost about $35.00 in new purchases (I needed some more steel wool, and I got eye protective goggles, plus the cost of about a third of a bucket of peel away). It was messy (the stripping goop, the sawdust, the clean up — not quite done cleaning up), it was time consuming, but now it’s done and I think the wood looks GREAT!

Again, please forgive the photo quality. I’m using my phone’s camera and it doesn’t have a flash (but who’d a thunk it that a phone would even take pictures???)

Banister paint stripping

5 Feb

I decided to re-do my hallways and bathroom this year as economically as I could, rather than wait to get a full time job and take out a big home equity loan. My hope is to get these two big projects and lots of other little projects in the house done by the end of the summer and start a new life and new career in the fall. Vediamo.

I decided to start with the halls. I wanted to strip the poo-brown paint from the banisters and newel posts. I have a four storey house, so there are three flights of stairs, four landings, and two newel posts. One strip of banister had already been stripped, stained, and was lovely.

I used Peel Away 7, which did quick work with the banisters. The newel posts have been a bit more recalcitrant, and will require vigorous sanding. They have more nooks and crannies, and have some old varnish or something in spots that is just not coming off.

I got a huge bucket of Peel Away 7 (it was on sale at Home Depot for $47.00), as I plan to use it on several other projects. I bought a new pair of heavy duty rubber gloves and a disposable brush. I had a plastic scraper already, so I feel that my outlay for this project was about $20.00 and it took around 20 hours.

I’m going to sand, stain, and polyurethane the wood next week. Ta da!