Tag Archives: beadboard

And “HA!” again.

15 Jun

Yesterday was spent removing, fixing, and reinstalling beadboard in the area near the toilet (after first removing the toilet). The paneling in this area was originally all mahogany and was badly stained by urine from when the house was a men-only boarding house (why are men so disgusting?). There was also a huge inexplicable hole (the portal to hell) in the wall. So I combined mahogany and poplar, and will stain the poplar to look more mahogany-ish.

There is also a strangely-angled corner covering the vent pipe that goes to the roof. I’ve squared it off below, and am undecided about how to proceed above, but have a good week before I have to think about it.

Today the tub comes out and I finish up the wood work.

In the immortal words of the car talk guys, “Ha!”

14 Jun

I don’t need no stinkin’ handyman.

Since Krisna didn’t show, I’m learning by doing. When my neighbor helped me take out all the beadboard to the door to nowhere, we discovered that there was a second layer of boards behind the first and that both were completely bare wood on their back sides.

So, I had enough wood to install matching beadboard in the corner where the old sink was.

Then I pulled up some matching door trim from the basement (the molding around the doors and windows is basically the same everywhere in the house) and put it in the void.

I even managed to cut a square opening for the electrical outlet that will soon appear near the floor.

It looks like it was always there (my ultimate goal in making the new old), and it took about ten hours total.

How to remove paint from beadboard

16 Mar

When I moved in in 2002, every surface in my house was painted either white or brown. I’m a big fan of color, natural wood, and wallpaper, so I’ve been un-whitening things as I’ve gone along.

I’m a victim of the Great Depression 2.0 recession, and have been looking for low-to-no cost projects to occupy my time.

So I figured I’d see what was under the bead board in the bathroom. There are at least a dozen layers of paint on those bad beadboard boys. I’m probably going to gain a square foot of space when it’s all off.

I started with PeelAway 7, a great product for up to say five coats. But no match for my situation. So yesterday I fished out my trusty heat gun (several years ago I bought the cheapest one for sale at Rocky’s — it probably cost no more than $30.00 and works great) and a scraper and had at it.

Heat gun first is DEFINITELY the way to go if you have many many layers of paint and varnish. I’m going to assess the overall condition of the wood (so far, it looks great, except for white plugs that appear to be filled with plaster spaced at regular intervals along the top. Not sure what those are all about). If the wood is in good nick all around, I’ll re-apply some PeelAway, finish up with a good sanding, and treat and protect the wood. If the wood is awful in places, I’ll just give a quick sand and paint it all.

I’m not sure what to do about the gaping portal to the netherworld that I felt compelled to un-cover. I’m hoping to find a few spare pieces of beadboard that I can liberate from somewhere else and pop into the void.